In this Seattle acting class, now in its 23rd year, we’ll create a short movie, working together as a group.
Taking this class is a fun way to learn some key things about filmmaking ––– get some acting practice and coaching ––– and be in a short movie.
The first two meetings of this class are preparatory. We’ll brainstorm about script ideas, costumes, characters and locations, and learn how films are made. The last three meetings are our film days. We’ll have two in-person meetings to get ready for filming, then three day-long meetings to film the movie.
You must be available for at least one day of the film days (the entire day). If you’re available on all three film days, you may end up with a larger part.
This class is for ages 17 and older (or by permission of instructor). Most students are adults. If you’re new to acting, we recommend taking Acting 101 first. This class can be taken by itself just for fun, or applied toward our Acting Fundamentals Certificate. If taken twice, the second time can be applied to our Acting Intensive Certificate. To see films made in previous quarters, scroll down. Instructor: Nils Osmar
Choose a section!
- This class has two class days and two possible film days.
- Class days: Sunday 10/29 and 11/5, 10 am-12:30 pm
- Location for class days: Lake City (Seattle)
- Filming days: Sunday 11/12 and 11/19 (9 a.m.-6 pm)
- We’ll figure out a location for the film days, during the class
- You need to be able to attend one of these film days for the whole day
Frequently asked questions
Why does this class cost more than your other acting classes?
- Most of our acting classes have 8 class hours.
- This one has 19 class hours, including the film dates.
- The video editing for each short movie made in this class takes about 30 hours of work on the part of the instructor after the class ends.
- There are also costs for audio editing and an original musical score.
- The higher course fee covers these expenses.
Who can take the class?
- Anyone who has taken Rekindle School’s Acting 101 class, or another acting class from the instructor, is welcome to sign up.
- Most students are adults. If a student is under 18, he or she will need the instructor’s permission.
What kind of film will we make?
- In the past, we’ve done everything from film noire detective movies, to mockumentaries, horror flicks, zombie movies, action movies, science fiction and fantasy, satire, humor, and romance. We’ll film whatever the students as a group decide to make.
What will happen to the film when it’s finished?
It’ll go on Youtube. After that, students are free to share it with the world.
Can I use this movie in my actor reel?
- It’s fine to use your performance in your reel if you’d like.
- To do so, just email us and we’ll send you a link where you can download the whole film.
- You’re then free to slice out part of it to use in your reel.
How does the class work?
- In the first meeting; we’ll do some brainstorming; then the instructor will write a script; in the second movie we’ll cast the movie and do some preproduction; in the next two or three meetings (depending on the length of the script) we’ll film it.
- Then about three weeks later, when the editing has been finished, we’ll have a wrap party so everyone can view the finished movie.
Films made in previous quarters
More student comments
You are an incredible teacher!
I want you to know that taking this class has truly made a difference for me. I lost the fear to shoot and produce films. It has given me the knowledge and skills I was seeking and the confidence I need to step into film making. I have to tell you — you are an incredible teacher! I cannot thank you ENOUGH! I’ll definitely recommend this class to all my friends. Thanks so much for the highly engaging and inspiring class.
Thank you for the Filmmaking classes
I just want to thank you for the Filmmaking classes. I never learned so much over a short period of time and remembered it. You wasted no time on the non-essentials. I greatly appreciate the fact that you were very receptive to everyone’s questions. Your experience, dedication, and passion for film making made this a fantastic learning experience for me.
Nils is a generous, patient and knowledgeable teacher
I was delighted with the filmmaking and lighting classes I took. Nils is a generous, patient and knowledgeable teacher. The classes I attended gave a solid introduction to the filmmaking process and Nils did a good job of covering the essentials. I intend to take more classes myself and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to aspiring indy or hobbyist filmmakers, or anyone interested in how movies are made. Regardless of your eventual cinematic ambitions, these classes are a great (and affordable) way to get started and find out if filmmaking is for you.
I am now a full time actor in L.A.
Hello Nils, I played Weasel and The Executioner in your movie Liberation… I also took the Let’s Make a Movie class with you few years ago. I hope you are doing great and finding time to make movies.I just wanted to thank you for having me in your movies and teaching me! I am now a full time actor in LA. Thank you and have a great 2017 full of creative films! Thank you and have a great 2017 full of creative films! My website is http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/dejasoufka
I just met a very awesome goal
I wanted to say thank you for your help and guidance in the early stages of my acting career. It has been a great journey that started in your beginning acting class. I am happy to report that I just met a very awesome goal. I will be a day actor in the TV series Grimm this week. It was your coaching that set and codified the foundation that helped get me where I am today. Thank you so much for your help.
I now have had two acting gigs
I’d like to thank you. After taking your classes last year, I now have had two acting gigs. One in a movie called Sideways Japan… it was a Fox production… and I was in a commercial in Hollywood, that was a Time Warner production.
The reel we made (in the Let’s Make a Movie class) was very useful helping me perform in front of camera and the fact (that I was) comfortable in front of camera got me the gigs.Tell everyone to not give up and give it your all if you want to make it. It was a slow start, but now I’m living in L.A. and loving it. Thanks again, your classes are good.
Thank you for inspiring me to follow my dreams
Hi Nils, I want to thank you for inspiring me to follow me dreams. I left Washington. I am down in California. I have started a television production company and I auditioned for a Harley Davidson Commercial yesterday as an actor. (Update: I got the role.) Everything is moving at light speed…and in a positive direction. It all started with you in that classroom at the U of W.
I look forward to this class and other classes in the near future
I’ve had positive experiences in the acting classes taught by Nils. He is very knowledgeable about the “Acting” industry and local community as a whole. I am taking another class with Nils called “Let’s make a movie”. I look forward to this class and other classes in the near future. Keep up the great work Nils!
Lots of practice and ‘hands-on’ experience
I was first attracted to these courses because of the content, location, price, and the many positive comments I had read about Nils Omar’s teaching.
Being a music instructor both privately and at the college level for over 30 years I can confidently say that Nils teaching is first rate! He is patient, well-organized, and thorough in his coverage of the course material. I had read a lot of books on acting prior to enrolling in this course (Larry Moss, Sandy Meisner, Constantin Stanislavski, Stella Adler, etc.) and was amazed by how Nils managed to cover most of the important concepts and techniques found in these books.
More importantly, he gave the students lots of practice and ‘hands-on’ experience. The students in the classes were made up of beginners like myself but also had a few students that had some more advanced training. There were a wide variety of ages ranging from around 21 – 59 years of age.
All of the students were serious about the class and were very encouraging to each other during the exercises and scene excerpts. This made the whole experience very enjoyable with little or no stress! In short, this class was the most fun I’ve had in years! So far, I have taken Acting 101, 102, 103, and plan on taken more classes with Nils. I highly recommend these classes to anyone interested in getting into acting, meeting others who have a true passion for acting, and want to have a lot of fun in the process!
Submit Your Review
You must be logged in to submit a review.