Welcome to Classesandworkshops.com
- Fun, affordable classes in the arts!
- Most meet on the University of Washington campus in Seattle
- Sign up now for SPRING QUARTER CLASSES!
About our program
- Classesandworkshops.com is an independent educational program.
- We were established in 2002.
- We offer over fifty different fun, affordable classes in subjects including drawing and painting, writing, acting, filmmaking, software and computer classes, and more.
- Most of our classes are co-sponsored by thee University of Washington’s Experimental College, and meet on the U.W. campus in Seattle.
- You can take classes just for fun, or earn a Certificate of Completion in several subject areas. Our classes are non-credit, so the focus is on learning, not tests or grades.
- Classesandworkshops.com is a division of 123classes.com.
Classes open for enrollment
You can always sign up!
Most schools have a gap of several weeks each quarter, during which enrollments are not processed.
For example, when spring classes fill up (in most schools), it may be a month or more before summer classes are listed.
When we designed our program, we did away with that gap. This means that on the day after a class starts each quarter, registration becomes active for the same class for the following quarter.
For example: if the spring session of “Widgets for Wabbits” begins on June 1, the summer session of “Widgets for Wabbits” opens up for enrollment on June 2 (literally the next day).
So you don’t have to wait weeks for the next round of enrollments to begin. You can sign up any time, for any of our classes. Early enrollment is recommended, because most classes fill up.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
Are these online classes? Or held in a classroom?
They are in-person classes, held in classrooms in the greater Seattle area. We are hoping to add several online courses in the future. Workin’ on it!
Are your classes for adults or kids?
Our Seattle classes are open to everyone 18 or older. We don’t (yet) have classes specifically for younger folks, but may in the future.
Note: Though they’re aimed at adults, some classes also work for younger students. If a student is under 18, and is interested in a course, please contact us before enrolling to make sure the class is a good match for his or her needs.
How can I find out if a class has openings?
If a class fills, it will be marked FULL, and the registration links will be deactivated. If the links work and you are able to sign up, it means there are still openings.
When will I receive a confirmation?
You should receive two confirmations by email within five minutes of signing up. One will be a record of your payment, the other will have driving directions and parking information.
If you don’t see both emails, please check your spam folder. If they’re not there, please contact us so we can resend them.
Are your classes accredited?
No, they’re non-credit courses for personal enrichment. This means the focus is on having fun and learning a new skill, rather than on tests and grades.
Some of your classes are “co-sponsored by the University of Washington’s Experimental College.” What does this mean?
If a class is co-sponsored, it means that you can sign up for it through our website or through the Experimental College.
Are there advantages to signing up through Classesandworkshops.com?
Yes, there are several:
- Our registration fees are lower.
- You can sign up sooner, since the classes open up for enrollment several weeks earlier on our site. This means you are more likely to get into the class.
- We’ve streamlined our registration system to make it simpler and faster to sign up. If you sign up through the Experimental College, you’ll pay one fee to the school when you enroll and another fee to the teacher. If you sign up through us, there is just one fee.
- Some classes are only available through our program.
- In sum, it’s faster and easier to sign up through our program, and will save you money.
* The Experimental College is a non-credit program of the University of Washington, run by the ASUW.
Does this mean that your program is a branch of the Experimental College?
No, they are totally separate programs. We’re not part of them and they’re not part of us. We just both advertise and accept enrollments for some of the same classes.
…I want to thank you for inspiring me to follow me dreams. I left Washington. I am down in California. I have started a television production company and I auditioned for a Harley Davidson Commercial yesterday as an actor. Everything is moving at light speed…and in a positive direction. It all started with you in that classroom at the U of W. – Robert C., Hollywood
CRASH COURSE IN FILMMAKING
…I just want to thank you for the (crash course in filmmaking) classes. I never learned so much over a short period of time and remembered it. You wasted no time on the non-essentials.
I greatly appreciate the fact that you were very receptive to everyone’s questions. Your experience, dedication, and passion for film making made this a fantastic learning experience for me.
I want you to know that taking this class has truly made a difference for me. I lost the fear to shoot and produce films. It has given me the knowledge and skills I was seeking and the confidence I need to step into film making.
I have to tell you — you are an incredible teacher! I cannot thank you ENOUGH! I’ll definitely recommend this class to all my friends. Thanks so much for the highly engaging and inspiring class. – J. Vega
DRAWING AND PAINTING CLASSES:
Thanks for taking some time before the class to help me figure out which class I should take. You weren’t just trying to “sell” me a class, you helped me find the one that would be a good next step for me. – M.J. (Seattle)
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
“I have enjoyed your class. You have been providing great direction for what to look for in SEO and things that you can do to improve anyone’s rankings…. I liked the presentation style, very good information.” – Jim Hopper, Seattle
“The exercise you did using one of your own websites as an example, and showing how the right changes could raise it in the search engine results, was really helpful.” – E.W., Tacoma
For more student comments and reviews, see the individual class pages.
Let us know what you think, and what you’re looking for!
We’d love to hear from you: Who you are, what sorts of classes you’re searching for or interested in. If there’s a class we don’t offer that you’d like to see in the future, please let us know.
Feel free to drop us an email with any questions or thoughts. See you in class!
- Nils Osmar, Director
- Our SPRING QUARTER classes are open for enrollment! More info!
- Some SUMMER classes are also now open! More info!
- Looking for guitar classes in Seattle? Check out Marlene Hutchinson’s class, “Learn to Play Guitar in a Day!”
- NEW classes starting soon include Documentary Filmmaking, Beauty and Glamour Makeup, Acting 104: Acting for the Camera! and Screenwriting 102: The Hero’s Journey
How to find classes!
There are several ways to find classes on our website. You can use the upper menu, or search by category or date in the sidebar. Or just click on the links below:
Sneak peek at future class dates!
Like planning ahead? We list our classes online as soon as they’re scheduled, even before enrollments open, to help people plan. For a “sneak peak” at our SUMMER 2015 classes, CLICK HERE!
Certificates of Completion!
We offer Certificates of Completion in several subjects:
- Acting fundamentals
- Drawing fundamentals
- Cartooning fundamentals
- Filmmaking fundamentals
- Painting fundamentals
- Writing fundamentals
- Make-Up FX for Filmmakers
We offer over fifty different classes, in topics ranging from drawing & painting to writing, acting, filmmaking, cartooning, calligraphy, collage, singing, FX makeup, photoshop, wordpress, Comedy, Screenwriting, and dozens more. To find the classes you’re looking for, click the links below: