Fun, affordable Seattle classes in the Arts!
- Classesandworkshops.com is an independent educational program in Seattle, Washington. We were established in 2002. / More info • FAQ • How to sign up
- We offer dozens of fun, affordable non-credit classes in drawing, painting, collage, cartooning, writing, photoshop, wordpress, acting, filmmaking, music & more.
- Most of our classes meet on the University of Washington campus in Seattle.
CLASSES STARTING THIS MONTH
(Dates shown are START DATES)
CLASSES STARTING IN MAY (Dates shown are START DATES)
Thursday 5/1: Search Engine Optimization (3 meetings)
Sunday 5/4: Acrylic Painting for Beginners (1 day workshop)
Saturday 5/10: Crash Course in Filmmaking (5 meetings)
Saturday 5/10: Let’s Make a Movie (5 meetings)
Sunday 5/11: Figure Drawing (1-day workshop)
Wed. 5/14: Acting 102: Intermediate Acting Wed. section (4 meetings)
Fridays 5/16: Acting 101: Beginning Acting (4 meetings)
Sunday 5/18: Acrylics Painting (intermediate level) (4 meetings)
Tuesdays 5/20: Start Writing Your Novel (3 meetings)
Thursday 5/22: American Sign Language sec. 2 (4 meetings)
Sunday 5/25: Mixed Media Collage sec. 2 (1-day workshop)
Sunday 5/25: Acting 101: Beginning Acting (4 meetings)
Sunday 5/25: Learn to Draw in a Day! (1-day workshop)
Wed. 5/28: Stand Up Comedy! (4 meetings)
Sat. 5/31: Watercolor painting (1-day workshop)
CLASSES STARTING IN JUNE (Dates shown are START DATES)
Sunday June 1: Drawing Faces and Portraits (1-day workshop)
Sunday June 1: Drawing and Painting Flowers (1-day workshop)
Sunday June 8: Acting 102: Intermediate Acting - Sun. section (4 meetings)
Sunday June 8: Acting 103: The Next Step (4 meetings)
Sunday June 14: Colored Pencil Drawing (1-day workshop)
Saturday June 28: Auditioning workshop (1-day workshop)
Monday June 30: WordPress for Beginners (3 meetings)
Monday June 30: Writing Fiction and Short Stories (5 meetings)
For a preview of JULY, AUGUST, SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER classes, click here
Classesandworkshops.com was established in 2002. We offer classes and workshops in a wide range of topics, ranging from drawing and painting classes to acting, auditioning, filmmaking, cartooning, video editing, novel writing, screenwriting, WordPress and Photoshop, collage art, jewelry making and more. For more information about our program, reviews of some of our courses, and the answers to frequently asked questions, please scroll down. Or click the links above or in the sidebar to start exploring our course offerings.
NEW CLASSES! Looking for something fun and different? Check out the classes below, taught by Ron Reid and Jaime Troy Nicolaisen:
- Class 1055: Beginning Stand-Up Comedy - three meetings to practice and learn about stand-up, then a performance at a comedy nightclub in Seattle!
- Class 5060 : Songwriting 101 - fun times! Learn how to write songs in this Seattle songwriting class.
BEGINNING ACTING CLASS REVIEWS
…I want to thank you for inspiring me to follow me dreams. I left Washington. I am down in California. I have started a television production company and I auditioned for a Harley Davidson Commercial yesterday as an actor. Everything is moving at light speed…and in a positive direction. It all started with you in that classroom at the U of W. – Robert C., Hollywood
DRAWING AND PAINTING CLASS REVIEWS
Thanks for taking some time before the class to help me figure out which class I should take. You weren’t just trying to “sell” me a class, you helped me find the one that would be a good next step for me. – M.J. (Seattle)
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION CLASS REVIEWS
“I have enjoyed your class. You have been providing great direction for what to look for in SEO and things that you can do to improve anyone’s rankings…. I liked the presentation style, very good information.” – Jim Hopper, Seattle
“The exercise you did using one of your own websites as an example, and showing how the right changes could raise it in the search engine results, was really helpful.” – E.W., Tacoma
CRASH COURSE IN FILMMAKING REVIEWS
..I didn’t have the chance to say goodbye to the other students and to thank you. I just want to thank you for the (crash course in filmmaking) classes. I never learned so much over a short period of time and remembered it. You wasted no time on the non-essentials. I greatly appreciate the fact that you were very receptive to everyone’s questions. Your experience, dedication, and passion for film making made this a fantastic learning experience for me. I want you to know that taking this class has truly made a difference for me. I lost the fear to shoot and produce films. It has given me the knowledge and skills I was seeking and the confidence I need to step into film making. I have to tell you — you are an incredible teacher! I cannot thank you ENOUGH! I’ll definitely recommend this class to all my friends. Thanks so much for the highly engaging and inspiring class.- J. Vega
Frequently asked questions
- Can you tell me about your program? Sure! The basics are: Classesandworkshops.com is a private educational program located in Seattle, Washington (about five minutes from downtown Seattle). Our mandate is to provide fun, affordable classes and workshops in topics ranging from drawing and painting to writing, acting, filmmaking, jewelry making, collage, calligraphy and more. We were established in 2002.
- Where are your classes held? At the time of this writing, we have four general locations: the University of Washington campus in Seattle; University Heights Center; North Seattle Community College; and Phinney Neighborhood Center. When you enroll, you’ll be sent an email with the exact building and room number and information about driving and parking.
- How do I sign up? You can sign up for our Seattle classes online, by mail, or by phone.
- How can I find out if a class still has openings? If a class is full, the words THIS CLASS IS FULL will be added to the registration information (marked in yellow.) If you don’t see those words, the class is open.
- What if the registration link doesn’t work? I click on it and nothing happens. If this happens, please let us know. How to contact us
- How soon should I expect to receive a confirmation, after signing up? You should receive confirmation by email almost immediately (five or ten minutes at most.) You’ll actually get two emails, one confirming your payment, and a second with the course location and parking directions. If you don’t get both emails, please check your spam folder. If they’re not there, please contact us so we can resend them.
- How large are your classes? Most of our Seattle classes are around 10 or 15 students. Some are a little larger or smaller.
- Who can sign up? Our Seattle classes are open to everyone 18 or older.
- What is someone is younger than 18? If a student is under 18, the parent or guardian should contact us first to make sure the class is a good match for their needs. The classes are designed for adults, but some also work for younger folks.
- Are you classes accredited? No, they’re non-credit courses for personal enrichment. This means the focus is on having fun and learning a new skill, rather than on tests and grades.
- How do the Certificates of Completion work? We have certificates in several subject areas. Earning a certificate is a good way of learning all that you can about a subject area. Plus, it’s fun and can orient your classwork. For more information about our certificate programs, click here.
- Why is there a discount for University of Washington students (and not for students from other schools?) Many of our classes are co-sponsored by the University of Washington’s Experimental College, which is run by the ASUW (Associated Students University of Washington). The ASUW’s policy is to offer a discount to UW students. We offer discounts for UW students to stay in line with this policy.
- Who are your instructors? What’s their background? You can find a list of our instructors and information about their backgrounds and qualifications at this link.
- What’s your philosophy? Our philosophy is that everyone is creative, and can have fun learning new things. We all have an impulse to write, draw, paint and express ourselves in other ways. Step-by-step training and instruction can help.
- Are your classes and workshops online? Or are they held in classrooms? Currently all of our courses are held in classrooms in the greater Seattle area. We are working on adding several online courses in the future, but don’t have a timetable for them yet.
- Do you offer scholarships or financial aid? No, sorry, at this point we are not able to. Our goal is to keep our classes affordable and accessible enough that most folks will be able to afford them without worrying about financial aid. If we should add a financial aid option in the future, we’d advise students to approach it cautiously, since student loans can become problematic for some students.
- Some of your classes say they’re co-sponsored by the University of Washington’s ASUW Experimental College. What does this mean? If a class is co-sponsored, it means that you can sign up for it through our website or through the Experimental College’s. (Not all classes are co-sponsored, but many of them are.)
- Does that mean that Classesandworkshops.com is a part of the Experimental College? Or vise versa? No, we’re separate programs. We just have an arrangement which allows students to sign up through our courses through either website.
- For the classes that are co-sponsored, are there advantages to signing up through Classesandworkshops.com? Yes, there are several:
- Our registration fees are 20 percent lower.
- Classes are listed on our website several weeks earlier, so if you sign up through our program you’ll have a better chance of getting into the class before it fills up.
- We’ve streamlined our registration system to make it simpler and faster. (If you sign up through the EC you will need to make two separate payments, at different times, one to the school and one to the instructor. When you sign up through our program there is just one payment.
- So it’s faster, easier, and quicker to sign up through our website, and can save you money.
- Are there other things that make Classesandworkshops.com different from other schools? Every school has things that are unique about it. These are some of the things which are true of our program:
- Our mandate is to deliver high quality instruction at an affordable price.
- There are no complicated applications to fill out. Signing up is as easy as clicking on a “Take Class” link and making your payment online.
- One thing that is unique about our program is that you can always sign up for our classes. On the day after a class starts each quarter, registration becomes active (for that class) for the following quarter (assuming the instructor has locked in their dates and times to teach). So there’s never a “down time” between quarters when you have to wait for registrations to begin.
- For example: if a spring quarter session of a class begins on June 15th, the summer quarter session of the same class will become available for registration on June 16th (the day after the spring class starts.) So you can always sign up for an upcoming class. You don’t have to wait for one quarter to end and the next one to begin.
- We’re small and locally owned, and plan to stay that way. Our program is growing as more people hear about us, and we will be adding additional courses in the future. But our plan is to stay small and connected to the Seattle community.
Thank you for visiting the Classesandworkshops.com website. Your thoughts, feelings and opinions are welcome. We’d love to hear from you: Who you are, what kind of art you’re doing or thinking about doing, what sorts of classes you’re looking for. Feel free to drop us an email with any questions or thoughts.
- Nils Osmar, Director